A classical Anatolian Turkish soup that is made with Lentil and Bulgur. This soup has been called Ezo bride soup. According to the story this soup was created by woman called Ezo. Some stories say that she created this soup after she had to eat blunt food in a hospital but there are more romantic stories where they say she had to leave her husband that she loved so much and had to marry somebody else and had to go to live in another town where she was very homesick. In all these stories she is the one who created this soup. It seems that she was also poor but she proved that we can create a very delicious meal out of very cheap ingredients.
There are different versions of this soup but I found this version to be most delicious. If you are vegetarian you can use vegetable broth or plain water . If you are not vegetarian you can use bone broth or chicken broth.
I first wash red lentils very good. You will see each time you wash the lentils, water is going to be less blurry. In the first wash water is going to be very white.
I cook red lentils, bulgur wheat and rice seperately in 1 pot and cook sauce in another pot. We will combine them at the end.After we add sauce to the lentil mix we can also get all the flavor at the bottom of sauce pot by squeezing lemon. We use dry mint and red pepper flakes as spices. If you like hot soup, use more red pepper flakes. The most important rule, you add some lemon before eating this soup, adding lemon to this spicy soup creates all the difference.
Ezogelin Red Lentil Soup
- 1 cup red lentil
- 3 tbsp bulgur wheat
- 2 tbsp rice
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups bardak kemik suyu ya da normal su
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry mint
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- lemon juice
- Tencerede mercimek, sos ve kemik suyunu birleştirin. El blender’i ile çorbayı püre haline getirin ve bu şekilde 10 dakika pişirin.Çorbayı limon, ekstra nane ve pul biber ile sunun.
- Wash red lentils very well. Combine red lentils, rice and bulgur with 3 cups of water. Cook the mix until lentils are softened.
- In another pot heat the oils and add onions. After onion became translucent , add the garlic and cook more. Add dry mint and red pepper flakes and mix it all. Finally add the tomato paste and give the mix another stir. Add the sauce to the cooked lentil mix. Add some lemon juice into the sauce pot to remove some of the flavor that sticked to the bottom. Add these flavors to the lentil mix.
- Finally add the bone broth and extra water to the lentil mix and simmer the soup another 10 minutes. Puree the soup with hand mixer and if you need more water, please add more warmer water
- Serve the soup with lemon and extra red pepper flakes and dry mint