This version of dolma uses white cabbage. It is a very popular home dish in winter. We make both meat and vegetarian version. This recipe belongs to Musa Dagdeviren and this is from his cookbook Turkish Cookbook .https://www.amazon.com/Turkish-Cookbook-Musa-Dagdeviren/dp/0714878154
Here I am sharing my experience with this recipe. You can find red bell pepper paste and coarse bulgur wheat in Middle Eastern markets. Whole Foods and healthy food markets selling bulgur too. Red bell pepper paste is something you always need if you are into Turkish or Middle Eastern cooking.
We serve many meat version dolmas with yoghurt.
40 white cabbage leaves
1 whole rack of lamb ribs
60 ml olive oil (1/4 cup)
For the stuffing
150 g coarse bulgur wheat (if you can’t find you can use white rice)
2 medium yellow onions (finely diced)
6 garlic cloves(finely diced)
450 g (1 pound) lamb, finely diced
1 tbsp red bell pepper paste
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tbsp dried chilli (red pepper) flakes
Turkish Dolma Recipe-Stuffed Cabbage with meat
- 40 white cabbage leaves
- 1 whole rack of lamb ribs
- 60 ml olive oil 1/4 cup
- For the stuffing
- 150 g coarse bulgur wheat if you can’t find you can use white rice
- 2 medium yellow onions finely diced
- 6 garlic cloves finely diced
- 450 g 1 pound lamb, finely diced
- 1 tbsp red bell pepper paste
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tbsp dried chilli red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Boil 2 liters (8.5 cups) water and boil cabbage leaves in this water for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside
- To make the stuffing: Rinse the bulgur wheat and then combine it with the onion, garlic, lamb, red bell pepper paste, tomato paste, dried chilli (red pepper ) flakes, black pepper and salt in a large bowl and mix it gently with your hands.
- Divide the stuffing into equal 40 parts (or # of cabbage leaves you have)
- Spread a cabbage leaf out on a work surface, veins facing up.
- Spread a piece of stuffing in line along the longer side.
- Roll the leaf around the stuffing for one full turn, then fold in the sides and continue rolling.
- Arrange the lamb ribs in the bottom of a saucepan, cover with the leftover leaves and arrange cabbage rolls on top
- Heat 2 cups of water (500 ml) in a saucepan with the oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt for 5 minutes. Pour over the rolls.
- Cover most of the surface area with a plate
- Cook, covered, over low heat for 40 minutes. Rest 10 minutes and serve