This is a very easy and delicious stew that incorporates green lentil, orzo and cumin. Orzo is optional but it enhances taste of green lentils. It is one of the popular dishes at Turkish homes because it is very quick to do if you have soaked lentils a night before. We eat it as a main dish with other dishes like root celery salad. It is a protein dish without any need for meat. You can use chicken, meat or vegetable stock when you cook it. Or you can just use plain water and you will still have a delicious and nutritious dish. With plain water or vegetable stock this dish becomes a simple vegan dish.
Turkish Green Lentil Recipe
- 3/4 cup lentils soak in water overnight, washed and drained
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil 50 ml
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 tbsp crushed tomatoes or tomato paste
- 1 tbsp orzo optional
- 2 cups warm water chicken, beef or vegetable stock or just water
- Heat olive oil
- Saute the onion with olive oil for about 3-4 minutes until onion becomes translucent
- Add the lentils to the onion, mix it well and saute for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes over medium-low heat until the lentils soften, stir occasionally.