A very popular traditional Turkish dish that is cooked at every home and in traditional restaurants. This is the most common version which uses lamb but other versions use sucuk (spicy sausage) and pastrami (pastirma)
We soak beans a night before to make sure it cooks easier and digestible. We cook bean and meat seperately and mix them together at the end and cook little bit more.
Don’t be discouraged long cooking time, this is still a very easy dish. We just need time more than work since cooking beans take time.
Lamb and Bean Casserole -Kuru Fasulye
- 280 g dried cannellini beans 1.5 cups soaked overnight 10 oz
- 60 g butter 1/4 cup2 1/4 oz
- 1 medium onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 400 gram lamb shoulder medium fat 14oz- diced finely
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp red bell pepper paste
- 1/2 tsp dried chillies
- 1.5 litre meat stock 6 cups
- Drain the beans that you soaked overnight and cook it in a saucepan with 2 litres (8.5 cups) water with salt. Taste of the water should be like sea water.Add lots of salt until you feel the sea water taste. Salt will help cook beans easier and later you would not need to add salt later and beans will be seasoned properly cooking at this phase. Skim the foam off the foam with a slotted spoon while beans are cooking. Beans should be done in 1 hour but it depends on the cookware and beans you use, please taste the beans to make sure it has cooked properly. When you take a bite, there should be no resistance. Drain the beans when cooked.
- Meanwhile heat the butter in a large cast iron pan over medium heat.Add sliced onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add lamb to the pan and cook it for 10 minutes until its color changes. Finally add tomato paste, red pepper paste and dried chilli pepper flakes. Season it with salt and cook another 5 minutes. Add hot meat stock and cook the mix for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes add white beans and cook another 15 minutes.