These meatballs are also called mother meatballs because in traditional homes where mothers cook, they always cook them for the family. Many people feel that their mother meatballs are the best.
We serve them either with rice pilaf, French fries or piyaz (white bean salad)
Turkish Burger Meatballs Kofta Ingredients
- 500 gr. ground beef 80% lean beef and lamb can be mixed for a better taste if you love lamb
- 1 medium onion grated or very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs 50 gr
- 10 gr. baking soda
- Juice of half lemon
- n a small bowl mix baking soda with lemon juice to solve the baking soda.
- Add grated or finely cut onions and garlic, all the spices and salt along with breadcrumbs.
- Start kneading the mix. This is the most important process making your meatballs tasty, You need to make sure that all ingredients are mixed into each other perfectly. When it is done texture should be gummy and kneaded mix start to stick to the surface.
- At this point dampen your hands and start kneading to add some water to the mix.
- Meatball mix should wait at least an hour in the refrigerator or overnight if you have time. This way all flavors will mix with each other better.
- When you are ready, have a small bowl of water ready
- In order to shape the meatballs dampen your hands and start to pick small amount of the mix (1 tablespoon), amount should fit between your palms. Shape them as shown in the picture
- Heat a grill pan and add very little amount of vegetable oil (we want to grill it not fry so oil should be minimum)
- Add oil after your pan is heated
- Grill meatballs until both sides change color, see the picture below