This is a pure Turkish breakfast egg because we use Turkish spices and Turkish/Greek yoghurt. Make sure you get real thick good quality Greek yoghurt with minimum water content. If you use regular plain American yoghurt, result will not be the same.
We top the yoghurt with the poached eggs. Then we pour the most amazing sauce, browned butter with red pepper flakes and dry mint. This butter sauce we use in many other dishes too
Please see the detailed recipe below and add your question here
Turkish Poached Eggs(cilbir) recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1 liter water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice or white vinegar
- 1 cup greek yoghurt extra thick yoghurt with minimum water
- 1 clove garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tsp Turkish red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried mint
- black pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- In order to bring cold yoghurt into room temperature, remove yoghurt from the refrigerator . Crush garlic in salt and combine it with yoghurt and set aside.
- Start to boil water in a medium saucepan, we will poach eggs in this pan. When water is boiling, we are ready to poach the eggs. Crack the egg in a small bowl. Add lemon juice or vinegar to the water before adding eggs. Then gently add egg to the boiling water. Turn the heat down because water should be boiling gently not too much. If you have room in the pan, add the second egg too. Make sure 2 eggs do not stick to each other, move them away. Eggs should be done in 3-4 minutes. Egg whites will be cooked, yolks will be runny inside. Remove them from the water with slotted spoon and put it on a plate with paper towel to remove the extra water.
- Start to melt butter in a small pan and cook it until butter changes color, do not burn it. Then add mint and red pepper flakes. It will foam up fierely. Turn the heat off
- Divide yoghurt into 2 plates for each egg. Top each of them with eggs and pour the spiced butter around the yoghurt like in the picture. Top it with some fresh dills., Serve with toasted bread